Friday, July 23, 2010

Dining Room Before & After

This home was purchased from a Belgian couple living in the United States as part of a work transfer. Despite their Belgian heritage (and the prevalent history of the Belgian design aesthetic), the couple chose to decorate the home in a hodgepodge of modern and antique styles. My vision was a more traditional version of Belgian/French meets seacoast style, as reflected in my previous post re: the formal and informal living rooms in the home.

Below is a BEFORE photo of the dining room, featuring an eclectic mix of mismatched furniture and lighting, as well as off-scale wall decor. The gothic chandelier was resin, of all things. That was the first thing to go! The long, rectangular table made the room feel small and awkward. I can't imagine the previous owners ever entertained in this room:





I replaced the resin chandelier with this European street lantern, which I fell in love with at a local antiques market. It is originally from Paris - I had it converted and re-electrified for use indoors. I chose a simple brown Belgian linen grommeted drape to offset the grisaille paint and the charcoal Matteo table linens:




More shots of my favorite lantern! I also added a round table (this is much better suited to the room's size, and doesn't interrupt the eye as did the former table) skirted in burlap and topped with a rectangular linen cloth. The accompanying armoire is from Provence, and features chickenwire doors and a whitewash finish. It provides much needed storage in the room, as the footprint doesn't allow for a large buffet:




The Louis XVI chairs are upholstered in flax linen and the frame has a rough, weathered wood finish. The textures are multi-layered, making the dining room feel very casual and elegant at the same time:




More to come!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,I received your comment regarding my RMS room. I'm thrilled that you would like to include it in your blog. Please feel free to! Let me know when you do and I'll link to it in my blog. P.S., your blog is off to a great start. Are you addicted yet? I follow Cote de Texas, too. I'm at bellefrancaiseinteriors.blogspot.com. Thanks for the nice honor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I'll just use your photos from HGTV if that's ok... And your blog is gorgeous! I should have the post up in a couple of days. I'll let you know when I do. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete