Friday, July 23, 2010

New England Coastal Architecture

Featured below are some of my favorite seaside houses located on a beach walk taken daily during my visit to the Massachusetts coast. Enjoy!


Great Howl - I adore a house with a name! Classic New England architecture - mansard roof, historical colors used for the red & yellow trimwork and functional shutters, weathered shingled siding & rosehips pressing against the weathered picket fence. The perfect picture of coastal Massachusetts, and an oceanfront view!




Another historically untouched oceanfront home. Simple weathered shingles, white trim, and an overgrown hedge for privacy - perfection!




A great modern seagrass garden with seashells for mulch. The dusty hues and slate border fit well with the seaside theme. The only thing I would change here is the vinyl fencing. Whatever happened to painting good old wood every few years?



What a fantastic example of a gambrel roofline. This house is in need of a little TLC, but it has great historic lines and an oceanfront view. I love the historic trim colors and the weathered fence. One of my favorites!


An old stonefront Gothic chapel with leaded glass and a gorgeous shingled clocktower. I'd love to have a look at its interior.



A closeup of the great trimwork and stone facade - the grays and beiges of the stones are beautifully reflected in the fishscale shingles. The unpretentious colors of the leaded glass are strikingly similar.



A simple roadside colonial across the street from the ocean. I love the stone wall made from local beach rock and the contrast of the yellow door against the weathered garden gate.



A somewhat less traditional brick sided schoolhouse design, but I couldn't resist. So simple and cottagey! I love the vine climbing over the front window.



Add Image






2 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL HOME. HOW ABOUT FILLING IN YOUR PROFILE SO WE KNOW A BIT ABOUT YOU.

    ReplyDelete